Homemade Cinnamon Extract is Quick and Easy to Make
If you love the warm, comforting flavor of cinnamon and enjoy experimenting in the kitchen, then making your own cinnamon extract might be just the project for you. Not only is homemade cinnamon extract inexpensive and easy to make, it is also a simple no-fuss project that makes a great gift. In this post, we’ll explore the benefits of making your own cinnamon extract, the best type of cinnamon to use, and simple ad-free instructions on how to make your own cinnamon extract at home. We’ll also provide some creative ideas for how to incorporate this delicious extract into your favorite recipes. No matter your level of experience, making homemade cinnamon extract is a fun and easy way to add a little extra spice to your life.
Why You Should Make Your Own Cinnamon Extract
There are several reasons why you might want to make homemade cinnamon extract:
- Choosing the best ingredients: When you make your own cinnamon extract, you have control over the quality and purity of the ingredients used. You can choose to use high-quality cinnamon sticks and a high-proof alcohol without any additives or preservatives.
- Inexpensive: Making cinnamon extract at home can be more cost-effective than buying pre-made extracts from the store, especially if you already have cinnamon sticks and alcohol on hand.
- Customization: You can customize the flavor of your cinnamon extract by adjusting the ratio of cinnamon to alcohol and the steeping time. This allows you to create a more concentrated or less concentrated extract, depending on your preferences.
- Versatility: Cinnamon extract can be used in a variety of recipes, including baked goods, beverages, and savory dishes. Making your own extract allows you to add cinnamon flavor to your favorite recipes in a convenient and customizable way.
Making homemade cinnamon extract is a fun and easy project that can add depth and complexity to your cooking and baking.
How to Use Homemade Cinnamon Extract
Homemade cinnamon extract can be used in a variety of sweet and savory dishes to add a warm, spicy flavor. Here are a few ideas:
- Baked goods: Add a teaspoon or two of cinnamon extract to your favorite baked goods, such as cakes, cookies, and muffins. Cinnamon extract can also be added to frosting or glaze for an extra boost of flavor.
- Beverages: Stir a few drops of cinnamon extract into your morning coffee, hot cocoa, or tea for a warming and comforting drink. You can also add it to smoothies or milkshakes for a spicy twist.
- Savory dishes: Cinnamon extract can be used in marinades or rubs for meat dishes, such as pork or chicken. It can also be added to sauces or stews for a hint of sweetness and spice.
- Homemade cleaning products: Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties, so cinnamon extract can be added to homemade cleaning products, such as all-purpose cleaners or air fresheners, to help kill germs and freshen the air.
There are so many possibilities for using homemade cinnamon extract. Be creative and experiment with different recipes to find the perfect way to incorporate it into your favorite dishes, beverages and homemade cleaning products.
What is the best kind of cinnamon to use when making cinnamon extract?
The best type of cinnamon to use for making cinnamon extract is Ceylon cinnamon, also known as “true cinnamon”. Ceylon cinnamon has a delicate, sweet flavor with subtle notes of citrus and clove, and it is less pungent and spicy than other types of cinnamon, such as Cassia cinnamon.
Cassia cinnamon, which is the most commonly used type of cinnamon in the United States, can also be used to make cinnamon extract, but it has a stronger, more pungent flavor that may overpower other flavors in the extract. Additionally, Cassia cinnamon contains high levels of coumarin, a natural compound that can be harmful in large doses.
If possible, look for Ceylon cinnamon sticks at specialty spice stores or online retailers. You can also use ground Ceylon cinnamon if you can’t find cinnamon sticks. Just be sure to use a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth to strain the extract after it has infused, as ground cinnamon can leave sediment in the final product.
How to Make Your Own Homemade Cinnamon Extract
Making homemade cinnamon extract is a simple process that involves just a few steps. Here’s how you can make your own cinnamon extract at home:
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup vodka or other high-proof alcohol
- A clean glass jar with a tight-fitting lid
- Break the cinnamon sticks into small pieces using a rolling pin or a mortar and pestle.
- Place the cinnamon pieces into the glass jar.
- Pour the vodka over the cinnamon sticks, making sure they are completely covered.
- Seal the jar with the lid and shake it vigorously for several seconds to mix the ingredients.
- Store the jar in a cool, dark place for at least two weeks, shaking it every few days to ensure that the cinnamon flavor is properly infused into the alcohol.
- After two weeks, strain the cinnamon extract through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth to remove the cinnamon pieces.
- Transfer the cinnamon extract to a clean, airtight container and store it in a cool, dark place for up to six months.
That’s it! Homemade cinnamon extract is a great addition to many baked goods, drinks, and savory dishes, and it’s easy and inexpensive to make at home. Pair your cinnamon extract with a custom label for a unique homemade gift.